Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Thu Oct 16 10:01:26 PDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 7:19 AM, Loa Andersson wrote:
> However I'm not happy the the vspace will disappear, apart from
> that is is an easy way to create simple lists it is also useful
> in development of a draft, i.e. I can put line breaks and comments
> where I need and the is simple to remove.
>
> Would it be possible to to keep a simple vspace, line feed or line
> break element?

+1!!!

Look—here is the situation.

"LINE BREAK" is a basic element of punctuation in modern written
languages, at the same semantic level as period, space, and paragraph.
The distinction was recognized in Unicode and is written up in UTR #13:
Unicode Newline Guidelines
<http://www.unicode.org/standard/reports/tr13/tr13-5.html>. That is why
U+2028 LINE SEPARATOR and U+2029 PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR exist. That is also
why <br> and <p> exist in HTML.

The fact that US-ASCII (ANSI X.34) never distinguished between line
breaks and paragraph separators is inapposite. It was invented in the
Before Time, when people thought it was just as important to encode BEL
(07h) sounds. Codes less than 20h (and DEL 7Fh) were meant to /send
commands to output devices/, not represent semantic elements of human
languages.

Please, we need line breaks.

Kind regards,

Sean