[rfc-i] xml2rfc v2 to v3 prototype converter available

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Mon Oct 13 15:00:37 PDT 2014

In support of the work on the XML2RFC v3 format work, I wrote a
prototype of an XML2RFC V2 to V3 converter. In particular, it removes
all deprecated elements from v2 and replaces them with their intended v3
replacements. It can be found at
<http://zinfandel.tools.ietf.org/~tonyh/convertv2v3/>.

Shortcomings:
     *) attributes will always be surrounded with single quotes in the
output
     *) inherited list styles are not handled well

The option "Output Comments About Conversions" will cause the output to
be sprinkled with comments such as:

     <!-- CONVERT moving PI rfc tocInclude='yes'  to <rfc> element -->
     <!-- CONVERT title= moved to <titleelement> -->

Search for the string CONVERT to find them.

There may also be WARNINGS in the output, such as

     <!-- CONVERT WARNING: unknown <list style=numbered> value -->

If you have XML that passed the v1 converter but not the v2 converter,
you may need to use the "fix XML problems" option.

I THINK that it is otherwise complete up to the -11 version of the draft
and working okay. A link to the code can be found at the bottom of the page.

     Tony Hansen