[rfc-i] Categories of references

Donald Eastlake d3e3e3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 08:31:59 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2014, at 2:13 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> My preference wold be to just add a third reference subsection (because the tools already allow that), and to establish and document a convention that "Historical" implies "Informative" with respect to maturity checks.
>
> That seems like a good path, in case we ever want to allow other reference subsections. "Normative" is untouched, everything else is like "Informative".

This seems like a good idea. When I do rfcXXXXbis documents, they are
self contained in that it is not necessary to look at rfcXXXX but
there are almost always, for one reason or another, some reference in
the body to rfcXXXX beyond the plain statement that it obsoletes
rfcXXXX. These are also historic references.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3 at gmail.com