[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Dec 20 08:02:08 PST 2012

>> Un huh.  What is the name of this character: #
> "Number Sign", see
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc20#page-5

You will also find people calling it sharp sign, hash mark, and for those 
from telephony backgrounds, octothorpe.  I can't say as that's caused mass 

>> What do you call two dots over a vowel?
> I don't call them anything.  They're non-ascii, and can not be
> typed on my keyboard, any completely irrelevant to the languages
> that I understand.

In English it's diaeresis, or for linguistic sticklers, a trema.  It shows 
up in English in loan words like Noël and naïve. People who speak German 
usually call them an umlaut.  Again, not a big deal.

I think we should use whatever characters make the documents more readable 
to the largest audience, and not worry about linguistic arcana.

John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

More information about the rfc-interest mailing list