[rfc-i] draft-kuehlewind-update-tag/

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Wed Mar 25 16:24:51 PDT 2020

Point 1: Whats a native english speakers explanation why "Amended" is
significantly better than "Updated"

For example, in IP multicast, we have this bible document RFC1112,
where the rfc1112bis i would like to write (time perrmitting ;-)
would mostly consist of removing 50% of the doc which specifies
what we would now call IGMPv1 - an obsolete protocol. To me,
this rfc1112bis would well be characterized with the word "Updated",
but not the word "Amended", because to me (non-native speaker),
"Amended" sound a bit like "there is more" (not a lot less).

Point 2: I am not sure the distinction between Amended and Extended is
going to work well, because i can esily see a single follow-up RFC
to do both. There may be one section, where a MUST statement
refers and changes behavior that existed in the reference RFC
and is therefore an "Amendment" MUST. Then there is a second
feature introducing a new feature, which for this RFC is a MUST,
so... how would i even distinguish these two MUST ? And it seems
that a single Amendment MUST "kills" 20 new MUSTs that are
Extensions.

Cheers
    Toerless