[rfc-i] [IAB] [Rsoc] Archival format to rfc-interest and the IAB

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Mar 2 11:28:46 PST 2020

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Well, we have a growing number of documents published in a "canonical"
> XML format that is not canonical and has no documentation.
>
> The more we have of these, the more we'll have to fix later on.

Henrik says, I believe correctly, that the changes have been backward
compatible so the current grammar is a superset of the original, and all
of the XML RFCs published to date are valid with the current grammar and
render with the current version of xml2rfc.

Having said that, I also agree that the situation is not great.  The RSOC
has tasked me with documenting the changes (starting with the deltas to
the grammar which I do have) and coming up with a process to control
future changes.

I think there are changes we'll want to back out so later this year we'll
need to consider what's the best way to retroactively adjust the XML
coding (not the text) and make it clear what we did.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",