[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] New Version Notification for draft-kwatsen-git-xiax-automation-00.txt

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Fri Mar 8 13:08:35 PST 2019

Hi Kent,

On Mar 8, 2019, at 21:39, Kent Watsen <kent+ietf at watsen.net> wrote:

> I hope that this work seems interesting to you.   I don’t actually know, as there have been no comments to the effect yet.

I now remember why I immediately forgot about xiax after having seen it:
It just does not apply to my workflow.

I do work in a strictly functional way.  There is a number of source files, and there is a Makefile (and possibly other configuration documents), which all are in version control and edited by humans (“precious”). The Makefile employs various tools to build (expendable) intermediates, run tests on them etc., and then finally the .txt file for submission.
The .xml file of course is also built as an intermediate (and will become more important in v3), but really the point is that I would never edit it; it is the result of a functional process.

The process as described has the disadvantage that it is more applicable to people who do software development (which, if somewhat state of the art, generally happens in the same way).  There might very well people who are comfortable with a mutating approach to draft generation (and, backed up with version control, that is probably quite workable).  It’s just not something I can very well comment on.

Being able to extract embedded code from an XML file is indeed important for me; please see Section 1.3 of RFC 8152 for an example of how this can be done with widely deployed tools.
I expect the RFC repository will at some point provide online versions of such tools.

Grüße, Carsten