[rfc-i] Soliciting feedback: starting a satisfaction survey for the RFC Production Center and Publisher

Heather Flanagan rse at rfc-editor.org
Wed Jan 16 07:21:13 PST 2019

Hello community,

In order to get a better sense of how well the RFC Production Center and
Publisher are serving the needs of authors, I would like to start
sending out a short survey to authors immediately after the publication
of their RFC starting on February 1, 2019. Participation in the survey
is entirely optional, but the expectation is that requesting feedback
immediately after publication will be more effective than the current
process of randomly selecting a percentage of authors who have published
in the previous year and asking them to recollect what did and did not
work for them.

The proposed questions in the survey are:

 1. Did the editing service provided by the RFC Editor improve the
    quality of your document? [Yes|No]

 2. What one thing would make the editing process easier or more
    effective? [Free form text]

 3. May we contact you to discuss your suggestions or concerns further?
    [Yes|No]

The RSE (me) will review the feedback and include aggregated results in
my reports published during IETF meetings. This fits with the
expectations of the RSE role as described in RFC 6635 (see Section
2.1.1. "Strategic Leadership and Management of the Publication and
Production Functions")

The survey will be handled via SurveyMonkey initially, though this may
change in the future if we decide to either take it in-house or use a
different service.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding this
activity, please let me know!

Heather Flanagan, RSE