[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] New Version Notification for draft-kwatsen-git-xiax-automation-00.txt

Stephan Wenger stewe at stewe.org
Tue Feb 26 10:05:20 PST 2019

I believe the first mentioning of code markers was in the attached email, which was on the IPR WG mailing list on a thread in the context of the copyright RFCs (BCP78).
Stephan

    Hi Joel,

    On 2019-02-26 18:19, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
    > RFC 5377 section 4.3 calls out that code has different copyright grants
    > than other parts of the document.  It describes various examples of
    > code, and then asks the IETF Trust to specify textual marking for code
    > so that authors can be explicit and can mark things that may not be
    > obvious by the examples.
    >
    > So it goes back a lot earlier than 6087.
    > And as far as I know goes back to before there was any tooling support
    > for the markings.

    Indeed.  And later, when there was discussion about possible code markings,
    I proposed that we use the <CODE BEGINS>, <CODE ENDS> introduced by RFC 6087,
    rather than inventing something new.

    Regards,

    	Henrik