[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] New Version Notification for draft-kwatsen-git-xiax-automation-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Feb 26 10:12:51 PST 2019

On 26.02.2019 18:25, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> On 2019-02-26 18:19, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>> RFC 5377 section 4.3 calls out that code has different copyright grants
>> than other parts of the document.  It describes various examples of
>> code, and then asks the IETF Trust to specify textual marking for code
>> so that authors can be explicit and can mark things that may not be
>> obvious by the examples.
>>
>> So it goes back a lot earlier than 6087.
>> And as far as I know goes back to before there was any tooling support
>> for the markings.
>
> Indeed.  And later, when there was discussion about possible code markings,
> I proposed that we use the <CODE BEGINS>, <CODE ENDS> introduced by RFC 6087,
> rather than inventing something new.

Those were introduced much earlier, and exactly for the reason I stated.
That's at least how I read the historic documents, and it also matches
my memory.

But wait, we even discussed it on xml2rfc - see
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/xml2rfc/7jfoO9KlNkiASuztADbtB9cmHew>,
dated September 2009.

Best regards, Julian