[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

heather flanagan hlflanagan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:47:35 PST 2019

> On Feb 25, 2019, at 7:20 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:18:12AM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> What worries me about the Github workflow is that it is really really easy
>> to respond to an email. Learning how to use a tool that was not well
>> thought out in the first place for a purpose it was not intended to serve
>> is not easy.
>>
>> My experience of the OpenPGP working group was that the contributions were
>> quickly reduced to the set of people who were familiar with Git and that
>> set of people wasn't enough to sustain the group.
>>
>> Workflow tools are great. We can surely do better than email for workflow.
>> But if people want to use Github, They have to be prepared to at the very
>> least write up a description of how to use it.
>
> And thus, here we are, with a WG chartered to write up a description of how
> to use it.
>
> Maybe we should switch gears and focus on working on that…

I think that’s a good plan (and will remove rfc-interest from additional discussion; it was good to include that list initially, but I think the focus needs to shift to the ietf-and-github list). I’ll be subscribing to the ietf-and-github list shortly, and encourage others to do so as well if they are curious/interested in how GitHub might impact future workflow for IETF working groups.

I’ve moved rfc-interest to bcc.

-Heather