[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Heather Flanagan rse at rfc-editor.org
Sun Feb 24 17:30:15 PST 2019

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 16:30, Eric Rescorla <ekr at rtfm.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 3:19 PM Mark Nottingham <mnot at mnot.net> wrote:
>>

>> > On 25 Feb 2019, at 10:16 am, Heather Flanagan <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I do think we need to give this another go, though not right now. One of my biggest concerns is that we (the RFC Editor) could end up with multiple paths for AUTH48. Not everyone (either at the individual or working group level) will want to use GitHub, and we could end up in a position where we are either a) duplicating significant effort, b) disaccommodating a significant number of authors, and/or c) becoming a GitHub help desk for those authors that are not familiar with GitHub.
>>
>> That sounds like a very reasonable concern.
>>
>> > I have a few other ideas percolating that I’m testing out with another organization (so, not wearing my RSE hat) that may end up being useful here. The premise there is a wiki-style front end for edits and a GitHub back end to store all the changes (and mirror any GitHub changes back into the wiki). No idea yet if that idea will fly.
>
> I'd have to see this, but one thing that I think is very important is to be able to see precisely what changes are under consideration, and wikis aren't necessarily that great about that.

Absolutely agree. If I can’t get that, it really has limited utility. But, if it’s doing some intelligent, user friendly front ending for GitHub, the changes would be fairly easily seen in the repository. I think. If it works.

There are many reasons I’m looking into this in a smaller environment with fewer existing constraints. If it works like I’m hoping, I’ll let this group know.

-Heather