[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:33:35 PST 2019

On 2019-02-22 18:51, Carsten Bormann wrote:

>>> Really? I absolutely don't understand that assertion.
>>
>> The OLD-NEW style requires a description of location/context in natural
>> language. That's imprecise. Also, to create it from an actual document
>> and to apply it to an actual document requires human work. That can also
>> lead to imprecision.
>
> So what?  They are not applied mindlessly.  After each round, I can go ahead and diff the updated .txt files, which is exactly what I’m doing in an AUTH48 process.
>
> Not all changes are done in OLD/NEW format; there are also more pervasive instructions such as “Capitalize all instances of foo unless used in the English sense”.

Yes. And a human can make an error in composing a PR or in accepting one that shouldn't be accepted.

Of course, if all the participants in an AUTH48 are happy to use PRs, or sed commands, or whatever tool they agree on, that's perfectly fine. But OLD/NEW has the advantage that no arcane knowledge is needed to use it.

    Brian