[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Fri Feb 22 12:28:41 PST 2019

On Feb 22, 2019, at 18:56, Bret Jordan <jordan.ietf at gmail.com> wrote:

> For other SDOs that I work with, that use Git, I can attest to this and doing editorial work via Git can just be a show stopper for many.

<CS snob hat>

Maybe that’s not a bug, but a feature.

</CS snob hat>

More seriously speaking, we need to be more inclusive than that.
(Please also note that using RFCXML as our primary submit format is a much taller “you have to be this tall to ride” than requiring Git would be.)

It is almost always a bad idea to force tools on someone.
(It is, however, often beneficial for both parties when the more experienced one exerts heavy nudging.)

I would expect that a process that would have the RPC use Git would still provide a “manual” interface like the one that we use now.  Participating in the Git-based process as an author would be an option that is more natural to take for the repeat author than required of everybody.  As Ekr noted, exposing editing steps in individual commits can be highly useful — both to the authors and to chairs/shepherds/ADs/WG members watching the process.  (This would be a model where the RPC “owns” the document during AUTH48 and the authors are the reviewers and occasional PR submitters.)

(I’m using “author” here to distinguish that role from the “editor” at the RPC side; we have the strange habit of calling authors “editors” in the IETF, which I’m not trying to bring up for discussion here.)

Grüße, Carsten