[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Bret Jordan jordan.ietf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:49:49 PST 2019

Thanks,
Bret
PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447  F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050

> I like git for source code work, but I am still having a hard time using it for document work. The number of extra steps and the learning curve can be just hard for people.  Also, the difference between authoring and editing are huge and pushing this on people that are not super familiar with Git can be a show stopper.
>
> The goal of this WG, IMHO, is to document how we can make this easy for people so we can get MORE people involved in reading, working on, and contributing to the work we do here in the IETF not less.  If we make a solution that drives people away, and our overall attrition rate continues to go up, then we become less and less relevant over time.
>
> No, I don't think so. The goal of this WG is to streamline the existing workflows that people are already using and have already determined to be convenient for their use cases. You may think that that's less convenient, but that's not really a discussion for the GIT WG.

So we should not be looking at the collateral damage that sanctioning this work might bring?  Further, we should not be looking at how to make things easier and better for the IETF community at large?

Keep in mind I am not against using Git or Github for SDO work.  I mentioned that in the meeting in Bangkok.  What I want to help ensure is that we do this in such a way that it makes things easier for people and does not attribute to more attrition.

Bret