[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Bret Jordan jordan.ietf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 09:54:10 PST 2019

<inline>

Thanks,
Bret
PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447  F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 7:25 PM, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> On 2019/02/22 07:06, Mike Bishop wrote:
>> Ideally, I'd see AUTH48 as a PR (perhaps from a private repo). One of the things we'll need to work out is to what extent that's feasible for the RFC Editor.
>
> I'm of course not in any way speaking for the RFC Editor. Also, I'm
> myself still struggling with git and github, so I don't want to push
> (sic) it on anybody else.

I like git for source code work, but I am still having a hard time using it for document work. The number of extra steps and the learning curve can be just hard for people.  Also, the difference between authoring and editing are huge and pushing this on people that are not super familiar with Git can be a show stopper.

The goal of this WG, IMHO, is to document how we can make this easy for people so we can get MORE people involved in reading, working on, and contributing to the work we do here in the IETF not less.  If we make a solution that drives people away, and our overall attrition rate continues to go up, then we become less and less relevant over time.

Bret