[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Feb 21 21:51:02 PST 2019

On Feb 22, 2019, at 04:06, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>>> But compared to the OLD-NEW style of talking about diffs, pull requests
>>> are way more precise,
>>
>> Really? I absolutely don't understand that assertion.
>
> The OLD-NEW style requires a description of location/context in natural
> language. That's imprecise. Also, to create it from an actual document
> and to apply it to an actual document requires human work. That can also
> lead to imprecision.

So what?  They are not applied mindlessly.  After each round, I can go ahead and diff the updated .txt files, which is exactly what I’m doing in an AUTH48 process.

Not all changes are done in OLD/NEW format; there are also more pervasive instructions such as “Capitalize all instances of foo unless used in the English sense”.

Grüße, Carsten