[rfc-i] [Ietf-and-github] RFC Editor & Github

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Feb 21 19:06:14 PST 2019

Hello Brian,

On 2019/02/22 11:41, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> But compared to the OLD-NEW style of talking about diffs, pull requests
>> are way more precise,
>
> Really? I absolutely don't understand that assertion.

The OLD-NEW style requires a description of location/context in natural
language. That's imprecise. Also, to create it from an actual document
and to apply it to an actual document requires human work. That can also
lead to imprecision.

Of course, if you (or the RFC editor) has some tools that produce
OLD-NEW style diff descriptions from actual document changes or the
other way round, my argument would fall apart. I haven't heard about
such tools, but I'm ready to be surprised.

Regards,   Martin.