[rfc-i] Unicode names in RFCs and xml2rfc

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Dec 6 07:49:55 PST 2019

On 04.12.2019 12:03, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> Hi Carsten,
>
> On 2019-12-04 12:00, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> Hi Henrik,
>>
>> On Dec 4, 2019, at 11:34, Henrik Levkowetz <henrik at levkowetz.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A <contributor> entry
>>
>> Where can I read up on this?
>> Already checked RFC 7991 and draft-levkowetz-xml2rfc-v3-implementation-notes.
>
> This is a proposal I'm making now, which has grown out of previous
> discussions around the subjects.  It's gradually come together in my
> mind as a reasonable approach to what is clearly an issue experienced
> by document authors.

OK, I see <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/changeset/3490>.

1) I agree and like the addition of <contact> as block-level element.
This solves the "how to style the contributors section" question we've
ignored for years.

2) Adding "<contact>" as phrase-level element: IMHO not a good idea.

2a) ...because allowing elements to appear both in block context and
flow context is asking for trouble. For instance: what if the <contact>
element inside <t> contains actual postal information?

2b) As I said before, there are more reasons to use non-ASCII than names
of contacts. For instance, what if I want to refer to the title of a
book? I know that this isn't currently mentioned in RFC 7997, but I
think wiring this into the grammar is the wrong approach.

Best regards, Julian