[rfc-i] Unicode names in RFCs and xml2rfc

Henrik Levkowetz henrik at levkowetz.com
Wed Dec 4 02:34:23 PST 2019

Hi Martin,

On 2019-12-04 11:20, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, at 20:54, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
>> I'd love to make it possible to use a <contributor> element with the same
>> child elements as <author> in text, to achieve rendering of contributors
>> in the same format as authors, with the same provisions for both ASCII and
>> non-ASCII content.  However, accomplishing any changes to the schema which
>> the design team didn't envision has been hard; so hard, actually, that I've
>> had to step back and mostly stop engaging on the xml2rfc-dev list.
>
> In this case, where I'm looking for acknowledgments only, a
> <contributor> element wouldn't help.  I'm just looking for a name,
> not something equivalent to an author block.

There are several possible renderings for an author block, depending on
context.  Making it possible to control this for a contributor entry would
make sense.

> In this case, it's the requirement to include 'num' in the format for
> <u> that is a little over-constraining.  A generic "this is unicode"
> element is fine, but coupling that to a particular output is what I'm
> finding problematic.

You're trying to use the <u> entry for something it very explicitly wasn't
designed for.  A <contributor> entry would not only be able to give you the
output you want, it would also provide the correct semantic labelling in the
XML file.

	Henrik