[rfc-i] Unicode names in RFCs and xml2rfc

Martin Thomson mt at lowentropy.net
Wed Dec 4 02:20:10 PST 2019

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, at 20:54, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> I'd love to make it possible to use a <contributor> element with the same
> child elements as <author> in text, to achieve rendering of contributors
> in the same format as authors, with the same provisions for both ASCII and
> non-ASCII content.  However, accomplishing any changes to the schema which
> the design team didn't envision has been hard; so hard, actually, that I've
> had to step back and mostly stop engaging on the xml2rfc-dev list.

In this case, where I'm looking for acknowledgments only, a <contributor> element wouldn't help.  I'm just looking for a name, not something equivalent to an author block.

In this case, it's the requirement to include 'num' in the format for <u> that is a little over-constraining.  A generic "this is unicode" element is fine, but coupling that to a particular output is what I'm finding problematic.