[rfc-i] [art] New RFCs text formatting

Henrik Levkowetz henrik at levkowetz.com
Sun Dec 1 07:04:14 PST 2019

Hi Carsten, Brian,

On 2019-12-01 14:59, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2019, at 14:51, Henrik Levkowetz <henrik at levkowetz.com> wrote:
>>
>> Principle of Least Astonishment
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfcxxx has been a way to access the
> htmlized paginated plaintext version for quite a while now; creating
> something similar for v3 (maybe with links that aren’t guessed, but
> generated from real information) would fulfill the POLA for me.

Yes.  Unfortunately, this requires a new xml2rfc formatter which generates
HTML directly, like the current HTML formatter, but does line-breaking
and indentation like the current TXT formatter.  Neither can trivially be
extended to do that.

Not that I haven't thought about it, but it will require quite a bit of
work.

> Of course, getting the RFC-editor HTML version from tools.ietf.org,
> where that exists, would also be useful, but not under that URL (and
> maybe with the htmlized version as a fallback).

For now, I've made a trivial tweak to the htmlizer; there's a new line
under the top menu providing a link to the RFC-Editor's HTML:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8651

Best regards,

	Henrik