[rfc-i] artwork width in v3?

Wes Hardaker wjhns1 at hardakers.net
Thu Aug 29 08:03:13 PDT 2019

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca> writes:

>     > With PDF-output, a smaller font could be used, but how would ~90 chars
>     > work in the plain-text output?
>
> I wouldn't want to do that.

<early morning humor>

Why not?  With PDF and zoom-able documents, size no longer matters.  You
can finally zoom to that bottom turtle.

See, here's a good document in a small font:

Here's that same document zoomed:

      #
     # #
    #   #
   #######
  #       #
 #         #

Good stuff!

Or even

      #
     # #
    #   #
   #######
  #       #
 #         #

Which, in some forms, may need to turn into

      #
     # #
    #   #
   #######
  #       \
\#
 #        \
\ #

</early morning humor>

>     > Perhaps, in conjunction with the artwork-folding draft, currently in
>     > IESG Last Call?
>     > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding
>     > <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding>
>
> This seems like a totally reasonable thing to do, and to teach xml2rfc
> to do automatically when generating .txt format documents.
> Seems odd for this to be in the netmod WG though :-)
> But, I can see why you guys need it.

Yeah, I agree...  This really belongs in a different group and is good
work that others may want to comment on.  I suppose that's why we have
IETF last call, but I think most general people that see "netmod" in the
title won't read the document, thinking it's specific to a particular
sub-technology.
--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI