[rfc-i] community member or not Re: [IAB] RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

Leslie Daigle leslie at thinkingcat.com
Fri Aug 2 08:30:45 PDT 2019

Replying to just one point in this, as I am still trying to chew through
the larger problem:

> - unless you're going for the acting RSE approach, please do
> not encourage applications from members of the IETF community
> as I think we don't want an RFC author for the RSE role but
> rather a series editor and those are IMO quite different things

This didn’t fit Jon Postel.  Nor did it fit Bob Braden or Joyce
Reynolds.  All were IETF community members.

I could ask if your point is a reflection on the IETF community being
less luminary than it used to be.

But, ISTM that part of the larger problem is that we’re trying to
“hire expertise”, that both understands our universe and brings in
some level of external subject matter experience and expertise, which is
good.  But then we, (for we == leadership, at least) treat them like
staff, not community.

I have (many) more thoughts on that theme, but will stop there, for now,
and see what people think.

Leslie.