[rfc-i] GitHub references

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Mar 27 05:46:42 PDT 2018

Thank you, all, for your feedback. I strongly agree that we should be
targeting a reference format that applies to source code repositories in
general, acknowledging that GitHub is currently the leading favorite for
most. After further discussion within the RFC Editor, we're proposing
the following structure:

Proposed Guidance on referencing web-based public code repositories
(e.g., Github)

1) Should not appear as Normative References.

2) Format of reference entries:

authors — omit them

title — include if available (some judgement may be required on the part
of the editors and authors to have a sensible title)

commit hash — include if exists, short form preferred if available

date — use date of last commit at time doc is edited

URL — include URL to main page of repository

Examples:

[pysaml2]  "Python implementation of SAML2", commit 7135d53
<https://github.com/IdentityPython/pysaml2/commit/7135d5370425b5a0fb18ddd604779f6195fc3306>,
March 2018. <https://github.com/IdentityPython/pysaml2>.

[linuxlite] "Linux Lite", March 2018.
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxlite/>