[rfc-i] GitHub references

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:38:52 PST 2018

On 09/03/2018 11:31, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> On 3/8/18 2:26 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> This is a problem with GitHub: the "title" of a repo can change easily
>>> over time. Having said that, it might be OK to use the title at the time
>>> of publication. Humorously, for mping, right now that is empty.
>> And that is not something the RFC Editor can fix. However, I think that
>> the rule should be: use the repo's title if there is one. For example,
>> https://github.com/becarpenter/graspy has a title that would suffice, IMNSHO.
>>

> I'm still unclear on what and where the title is that you're referring
> to. Are we talking about what ever is in the area that on mping says
> "/No description, website, or topics provided." /and on graspy says
> "Python 3 demo code for GRASP protocol"? If that's it, that's a bit
> concerning since the text might not be very title-ish at all.

That's it, and you're right, there is no quality control on that paricular
aspect of GitHub. (That was a joke. There's no QC on any aspect of GitHub
content.)

Don't you think the authors should be expected to provide a suitable
text string? I don't think we can get this right by defining an algorithm,
and with no title at all, the references look very thin.

    Brian