[rfc-i] GitHub references

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu Mar 8 11:59:26 PST 2018

Hello all,

The RFC Editor is proposing to update the reference format for
informative references to GitHub repositories (noting that GitHub
repositories are not currently accepted as normative references).
Specifically, we propose to standardize on the following:

1) No author name(s). A repository may have many contributors, and there
is no way to easily determine major contributors versus all others.

2) The title of the repository will be whatever is in the top left of
the main repository page.

3) The URL will be to the main page of the repository.

4) The reference will not include any particular commit hash. It will
include the date of the last commit at the time the RFC-to-be is edited.

So:

OLD
   [mpingSource]
              Fan, X., Mathis, M., and D. Hamon, "Git Repository for
              mping: An IP Level Performance Diagnostic", Sept 2013,
              <https://github.com/m-lab/mping>.

NEW
   [mpingSource]
              "mping", July 2016, <https://github.com/m-lab/mping>.

Does anyone have any feedback re: the above proposal? This is outside
the realm of CMOS today, so we're breaking some new ground here.

Thanks!
Heather Flanagan, RSE