[rfc-i] Finding contributors

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 14:02:38 PST 2018

Brian,

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 5:04 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,

>>> I believe contributors are not "found", on official searches. (Like the
>>> RFC editor page).
>
> Do people think that RFC contributors (as described in RFC 7322) should
> be "findable”?

I think it depends somewhat on what you mean by “findable”.  If it’s their name, then a grep like solution or a new search item on the advanced search feature on rfc-editor.org would be fine.  If it is a current way to actually contact them, i.e. working email, postal address, etc., then I don’t think it will be maintainable.  It’s hard enough for actual authors.  Even these sometimes go stale between the time that the last draft is published and AUTH48.  Over time only it gets worse.

I think it’s only useful if it’s to find their names across multiple RFCs.  Putting more contact information in a database seems like a lot of work with little usefulness over time.

Bob