[rfc-i] Current guidelines to authors

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 13:39:48 PDT 2017

On 01/10/2017 06:04, Tim Bray wrote:
> I was contacted by someone asking “Might an RFC on X be useful?” I thought
> it might, so I suggested he start by preparing an I-D.  He's not done IETF
> before, so I googled "How to write an internet draft" - see
> http://bit.ly/2fFDP4i - and the results were disappointing, not obvious
> what I should send him by way of advice.
>
> Is there a good recent state-of-the-art document we'd want to direct
> someone to?  If so, maybe I and others can throw it a few links and get it
> some googlejuice.  If not, someone should write one.

This is not a direct answer to your question, but this page
should help such a person on their way:
https://www.ietf.org/newcomers.html

Also the BOF guidelines are relevant, I think:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5434

Or even
https://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html#rfc.section.2.1

Which suggests
https://www.ietf.org/tao.html

So I don't think there is a single place that answers your question.
If you think there should be, I suggest volunteering to write text
for the IETF EDU directorate to chew on: https://www.ietf.org/edu/

Regards
    Brian