[rfc-i] character sets, Bug in RFC Search page...

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Sep 27 10:53:48 PDT 2017

In article <20170926215743.GM31007 at faui40p.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> you write:
>Given how browsers are quite inconsistent in the characer sets they load, it would be nice to have explicit indication
>of the character sets required to render a document. I've seen PDF documents where i had to go to page 100 before some
>crucial text was not rendered because it used some character set not available to me.

Those are buggy PDFs.  A PDF is supposed to contain all the fonts it
uses beyond a small standard set, but there is a lot of PDF crudware
that wrongly assumes that whatever fonts it finds on the machine where
it's running will exist everywhere.

>There is a lot of tool chains out there that will not render UTF-8 correctly,
>therefore it is IMHO extremely viable to have a clear indication of the
>minimum toolchain features required to render a document correctly (in the first
>page header of an RFC wold be great).

Hey, maybe we could put a couple of bytes at the begining that say
this is a UTF-8 document.

R's,
John