[rfc-i] character sets, Bug in RFC Search page...

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Wed Sep 27 11:04:01 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 05:53:48PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> Those are buggy PDFs.  A PDF is supposed to contain all the fonts it
> uses beyond a small standard set, but there is a lot of PDF crudware
> that wrongly assumes that whatever fonts it finds on the machine where
> it's running will exist everywhere.

I have stopped trying to really understand all those details for the last
two decades, but i fear what you describe sounds like the original intention
of adobe when they thought fonts embedded in PDFs could not be extracted
and (illegally) be reused outside of the PDF. Once that hack happened (2 decades ago ?),
the problem of licensed/payware fonts and their use has AFAIK lead to
less inclusion of fonts into PDF.

> >There is a lot of tool chains out there that will not render UTF-8 correctly,
> >therefore it is IMHO extremely viable to have a clear indication of the
> >minimum toolchain features required to render a document correctly (in the first
> >page header of an RFC wold be great).
>
> Hey, maybe we could put a couple of bytes at the begining that say
> this is a UTF-8 document.

I smell a BOM joke, even though i do not even WANT TO understand that stuff and nuked that thread.

There are enough people taking care of making documents more machine friendly.
I only care about the elements that make them more human friendly ;-)

Cheers
    Toerless