[rfc-i] Some RFC editing questions

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Sep 27 10:29:32 PDT 2017

> On Sep 27, 2017, at 19:15, Toerless Eckert <tte at cs.fau.de> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 06:25:00PM +0200, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 2017, at 18:15, Toerless Eckert <tte+ietf at cs.fau.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Redirect to better place welcome if this iss the wrong list for these questions...
>>>
>>> Q1: Is there some recommended XML formatter for IETF draft XML (trying to unify draft
>>> from multiple authors that used various XML formattings).
>>
>> Don???t do that if the sources are under version control (which they should be in 2017).
>
> The sources are in a git. I would just like to clean the formatting of the XML source.
> Obviously this would be a separate commit so that one isn't mixing textual changes
> with XML formatting changes in a single commit.

Yes, but that commit will destroy git-blame capability.
(If you have never used this — it is extremely useful to find out who made a change when and in which context.)
A reformatting commit essentially cuts off your history.

>> xmllint ??????format is the canonical formatter for XML.
>>
>> But preferably don???t do that.
>>
>> (The tendency of XML to deteriorate its source formatting is one of the reasons collaborative editing works so much better in markdown.  Sure, there is still a tendency to reformat paragraphs in markdown source, but it seems easier for markdown to just not do it.)
>
> What do you mean with markdown ? Using an editor that already produces some standard format XML output ?

Not editing XML, but markdown.

http://rfc.space

>>> Q2: Is there a way to rsync the XML sources of RFCs (not of drafts) ?
>>
>> I don???t think these are available.
>> (Of course, people like Julian and me have a stash of these from the AUTH48 stage.
>> But at least my stash is not nearly complete.)
>> Note that, when I last looked, the actual publishing pipeline went from RFCXML to nroff (where a few final tweaks are made) to txt.
>> So there may not be a piece of XML that describes an RFC, even if that RFC was generated from XML.
>
> Ok., that explains why my seearches went nowhere. So i have to stick using the
> latest draft versions XML to copy& paste stuff. I was primarily trying to
> find some good SVG examples in RFCs to see if it makes sense to upgrade
> myself out of ascii art.

There is no SVG in current RFCs that I know of.

(Well, except for the SVG *source* in RFC 7992.)

>> Henrik now has a tool to up-convert from .txt to .xml.
>
> Nice. URL ?

https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/

(I need to get my experimental RFCXML to markdown converter fixed and up there as well…)

Grüße, Carsten