[rfc-i] Some RFC editing questions

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Sep 27 10:27:55 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-27 19:15, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 06:25:00PM +0200, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 2017, at 18:15, Toerless Eckert <tte+ietf at cs.fau.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Redirect to better place welcome if this iss the wrong list for these questions...
>>>
>>> Q1: Is there some recommended XML formatter for IETF draft XML (trying to unify draft
>>> from multiple authors that used various XML formattings).
>>
>> Don???t do that if the sources are under version control (which they should be in 2017).
>
> The sources are in a git. I would just like to clean the formatting of the XML source.
> Obviously this would be a separate commit so that one isn't mixing textual changes
> with XML formatting changes in a single commit.

Carsten's poibt being that this can be problematic if multiple people
edit, and do not agree on the formatting.

No. See <https://github.com/cabo/kramdown-rfc2629>.

>>> Q2: Is there a way to rsync the XML sources of RFCs (not of drafts) ?
>>
>> I don???t think these are available.
>> (Of course, people like Julian and me have a stash of these from the AUTH48 stage.
>> But at least my stash is not nearly complete.)
>> Note that, when I last looked, the actual publishing pipeline went from RFCXML to nroff (where a few final tweaks are made) to txt.
>> So there may not be a piece of XML that describes an RFC, even if that RFC was generated from XML.
>
> Ok., that explains why my seearches went nowhere. So i have to stick using the
> latest draft versions XML to copy& paste stuff. I was primarily trying to

Is there a specific RFC for which you need the XML? You can always ask
the RFC Editor for a copy.

> find some good SVG examples in RFCs to see if it makes sense to upgrade
> myself out of ascii art.

We don't have RFCs with SVG art yet.

>> Henrik now has a tool to up-convert from .txt to .xml.
>
> Nice. URL ?

<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/id2xml>

Best regards, Julian