[rfc-i] Some RFC editing questions

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Wed Sep 27 10:15:13 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 06:25:00PM +0200, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2017, at 18:15, Toerless Eckert <tte+ietf at cs.fau.de> wrote:
> >
> > Redirect to better place welcome if this iss the wrong list for these questions...
> >
> > Q1: Is there some recommended XML formatter for IETF draft XML (trying to unify draft
> > from multiple authors that used various XML formattings).
>
> Don???t do that if the sources are under version control (which they should be in 2017).

The sources are in a git. I would just like to clean the formatting of the XML source.
Obviously this would be a separate commit so that one isn't mixing textual changes
with XML formatting changes in a single commit.

> xmllint ??????format is the canonical formatter for XML.
>
> But preferably don???t do that.
>
> (The tendency of XML to deteriorate its source formatting is one of the reasons collaborative editing works so much better in markdown.  Sure, there is still a tendency to reformat paragraphs in markdown source, but it seems easier for markdown to just not do it.)

What do you mean with markdown ? Using an editor that already produces some standard format XML output ?

> > Q2: Is there a way to rsync the XML sources of RFCs (not of drafts) ?
>
> I don???t think these are available.
> (Of course, people like Julian and me have a stash of these from the AUTH48 stage.
> But at least my stash is not nearly complete.)
> Note that, when I last looked, the actual publishing pipeline went from RFCXML to nroff (where a few final tweaks are made) to txt.
> So there may not be a piece of XML that describes an RFC, even if that RFC was generated from XML.

Ok., that explains why my seearches went nowhere. So i have to stick using the
latest draft versions XML to copy& paste stuff. I was primarily trying to
find some good SVG examples in RFCs to see if it makes sense to upgrade
myself out of ascii art.

> Henrik now has a tool to up-convert from .txt to .xml.

Nice. URL ?