[rfc-i] Some RFC editing questions

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Sep 27 09:25:00 PDT 2017

On Sep 27, 2017, at 18:15, Toerless Eckert <tte+ietf at cs.fau.de> wrote:

> Redirect to better place welcome if this iss the wrong list for these questions...
>
> Q1: Is there some recommended XML formatter for IETF draft XML (trying to unify draft
> from multiple authors that used various XML formattings).

Don’t do that if the sources are under version control (which they should be in 2017).

xmllint ––format is the canonical formatter for XML.

But preferably don’t do that.

(The tendency of XML to deteriorate its source formatting is one of the reasons collaborative editing works so much better in markdown.  Sure, there is still a tendency to reformat paragraphs in markdown source, but it seems easier for markdown to just not do it.)

> Q2: Is there a way to rsync the XML sources of RFCs (not of drafts) ?

I don’t think these are available.
(Of course, people like Julian and me have a stash of these from the AUTH48 stage.
But at least my stash is not nearly complete.)
Note that, when I last looked, the actual publishing pipeline went from RFCXML to nroff (where a few final tweaks are made) to txt.
So there may not be a piece of XML that describes an RFC, even if that RFC was generated from XML.

Henrik now has a tool to up-convert from .txt to .xml.

Grüße, Carsten