[rfc-i] RFC Series publishes first RFC with non-ASCII characters

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Sep 22 05:51:46 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-14 23:07, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> The RPC and the Tools Team has identified several areas that need to be
> modified to support these characters. Some of those areas will
> ultimately be handled with the new format tools; others have been
> modified as part of the more general work to prepare for the new RFC
> format. For the documents being used to test the toolchain, a
> significant amount of manual processing is required to publish the
> RFCs with non-ASCII characters in the final text. In order to keep

Out of curiosity: as the current version of xml2rfc produces the UTF-8
plain text just fine (*), what additional processing are you referring to?

> overall processing times down, leave staff enough time to test
> the other tools that are being developed as part of the RFC format
> project, and allow the editors time to create and/or update new
> procedures as the v3 tools are released, no additional non-ASCII
> documents outside of RFC 8187 and the PRECIS cluster will be published
> until the new format tools are in production.

Understood.

Now what does this mean for drafts being written right now, and which
are not expected to be ready for publication in the next, let's say, 12
months? Can we start submitting I-Ds with non-ASCII characters right now
(without getting stopped by id-nits...)?

Best regards, Julian

(*) with the possible exception of the BOM :-)