[rfc-i] Style Guide and Abstract guidance

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:38:37 PDT 2017

On 09/09/2017 04:41, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> Generally looks good.
>
> On Sep 8, 2017, at 17:57, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>>
>> mentions of other RFCs within the Abstract should
>>    include both an RFC number and  title.
>
> This no longer says “no citations”; it just talks about RFCs.
> I don’t think citations such [802.1AR-2009] should be in abstracts.

I agree with that. However, I suggest considering
s/title/title or abbreviated title/.

If you want to mention RFC 1129 in an Abstract, it should be
sufficient to say "Network Time Protocol", not waste space with
"Internet Time Synchronization: The Network Time Protocol".

Also, could we have a "No Politics" rule for abstracts?
There was an I-D recently whose abstract said:
"The network operator and vendor community has clearly indicated that
<proposed feature> is useful and required."

    Brian