[rfc-i] Authoring I-D/RFCs in AsciiDoc

Ronald Tse tse at ribose.com
Sat Nov 25 08:26:22 PST 2017

Warm greetings to everyone on the rfc-interest list!

We’ve recently made a tool that allows writing Internet-Drafts using AsciiDoc called “asciidoctor-rfc” [1], as an alternative to Kramdown / MMark or manual RFC XML. AsciiDoc is a widely-adopted textual format. Similar to Markdown, it is simple to write and easy to understand, but its major benefit is for being a structured format that directly converts into DocBook XML.

The tool, “asciidoctor-rfc” supports generating both v3 and v2 RFC XML through the “AsciiRFC” syntax [2].

We have attempted to expose as many v3 (and v2) features as possible through native AsciiDoc syntax. I do know the v3 xml2rfc tool is under development (originally scheduled for Oct?), and we are excited to try it out using RFC XML files generated with asciidoctor-rfc.

Here are some examples created through this asciidoctor-rfc:
* A large number of v2/v3 examples, including the IETF templates, at [3]
* draft-oscca-cfrg-sm3-02 (source: [4], text: [5])
* draft-ribose-cfrg-sm4-03 (source: [6], text: [7])

We are very interested in your (and RFC Editors!) feedback. Please let us know how this could work better for you — we look forward hearing from all interested parties. Thank you in advance!

Links:

[1] https://github.com/riboseinc/asciidoctor-rfc
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ribose-asciirfc-01
[3] https://github.com/riboseinc/asciidoctor-rfc/tree/master/spec/examples