[rfc-i] How to include sections from other drafts?

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 28 08:51:26 PDT 2017

This is an issue that I have encountered several times in the past and
never found an adequate solution. Now it has arisen again in
draft-ietf-mmusic-dtls-sdp-22. (See section 9.) (I'm not the author - I
was Gen-Art reviewer.)

This draft updates some RFCs, and to do so it includes OLD text copied
from the document being updated, and NEW text formatted as a replacement.

The problem is that the OLD and NEW text includes multiple sections,
with section numbering from the referenced document. This text *looks*
just like sections in *this* document, except that the numbering and
indentation are copied from the referenced document. So it results in
what appears to be incorrectly numbered and indented sections in the
document. This is very confusing to read.

Is there a recommended way to deal with this - one that works with txt
formatted documents?

I thought about indenting. But this requires reflowing the content to
work with txt format, and that is a problem for OLD content taken from
an RFC.

I have currently suggested putting a marker character in the margin of
every such embedded line. But I'm not loving that either.

	Thanks,
	Paul