[rfc-i] Placement of Index

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Mar 11 17:43:49 PST 2017

On 2017/03/11 23:20, Julian Reschke wrote:
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-00#section-4.10>:

>>    If included, an index appears directly after any appendices and
>>    before the Acknowledgements (if any).  Where applicable, it appears
>>    before the "IAB Members at the Time of Approval" section.
>
> From an xml2rfc point of view, that's hard to implement, as "IAB Members
> at the Time of Approval" and "Acknowledgements" are regular appendices
> that happen to be unnumbered (using
> <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7991.html#element.section.attribute.numbered>).

> Can we generalize this to: "it appears before any unnumbered appendix,
> such as..."? Otherwise we'll need to come up with new markup to define
> where to place the index (in which case you should raise an issue at
> <https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis>).

Even better, can we just make sure that the index is at the very end of
the document? That's the case in all good books and other publications I
know. The reason for this is very clear: If one wants to find something
in the document, one goes to the index. But that means one has to find
the index first. So the index has to be at a place where it's easy to
find, and the end of the document assures that. That in no way applies
to any of the appendices.

Regards,   Martin.