[rfc-i] bug in errata list for draft-ietf-jsonbis-rfc7159bis

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Wed Mar 8 12:04:55 PST 2017

On 3/8/17 11:28 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2017, at 23:29, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jsonbis-rfc7159bis-03#section-15.2>:
>>

>>>    [Err3607]  RFC Errata, "Errata ID 3607", RFC 4627,
>>>               <http://www.rfc-editor.org>.
>>>
>>>    [Err3915]  RFC Errata, "Errata ID 7159", RFC 7159,
>>>               <http://www.rfc-editor.org>.
>>>
>>>    [Err4264]  RFC Errata, "Errata ID 7159", RFC 7159,
>>>               <http://www.rfc-editor.org>.
>>>
>>>    [Err4336]  RFC Errata, "Errata ID 7159", RFC 7159,
>>>               <http://www.rfc-editor.org>.
>>>
>>>    [Err607]   RFC Errata, "Errata ID 607", RFC 4627,
>>>               <http://www.rfc-editor.org>.
>>

>> The newly added ones have an incorrect title.
>>
>> That said: I realize that this way to cite an erratum is the one
>> accepted by the RSE - other than that, it's brain dead, in that:
>>
>> a) it provides minimal help to actually get to the erratum (requires
>> following a link, opening a form, entering values), and
>>
>> b) is semantically incorrect, as the erratum of an RFC is not the
>> same thing as the RFC (but that's what the seriesInfo information is
>> claiming).
>
> I agree with Julian on all counts here. A reader of this document who
> is not familiar with the IETF (and there will be *plenty* of those for
> this RFC) will not understand at all what is going on.
>
> Heather: is it possible to change the format for references to errata
> now before this document is published?

Hi,

It rather depends on when the document in question is approved for
publication and exactly what folks want changed. If we're just talking
about adding a direct pointer, that's possible. It looks like it is in
Last Call now, so it will be something of a race between it entering our
queue and our work to create those pretty, permanent URLs to errata.

If you're talking about changing the XML tagging or the content ordering
in the errata reference, then no, that's not going to happen before the
doc is published.

-Heather