[rfc-i] Statistics on women authors?

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Tue Mar 7 01:31:54 PST 2017

On 2017-3-7, at 10:23, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> Preparing the Women Rights day, a colleague asked my how many RFCs
> were written by female authors. I don't know, and, unless you know the
> authors, you cannot find it from the RFC alone. (Yes, you can guess
> from the first name but it is unreliable, specially for first names
> of other cultural groups.)
>
> Did anyone compile this information? Do we have stats?

The registration form has been collecting gender info since 2013 (see https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/bzL2QHgRAosd1KXFI7BY9vJM5fU). So you might be able to cross-correlate *if* that data is actually being kept. The form says "for statistical purposes, not retained", so it shouldn't.

Lars