[rfc-i] Referencing Internet Drafts

Jim Schaad ietf at augustcellars.com
Fri Jun 16 11:40:44 PDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: rfc-interest [mailto:rfc-interest-bounces at rfc-editor.org] On Behalf Of Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2017 11:19 AM
To: rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org
Subject: Re: [rfc-i] Referencing Internet Drafts

> On 14/06/2017 20:37, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> On Jun 13, 2017, at 23:02, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can see a situation, in a purely historic context, where this
>>> might be unnecessary.
>>
>> (Ceterum censeo:)
>>
>> I believe it would be a good thing to clearly identify “historical”(*) references (as in: here you can find out how this document came to be the way it is) as a separate class from other “informative” (as in: here is more information that helps in processing the technical content of this document) ones.
>>
>> The rule being discussed would then apply to informative, not to historical, references.
>
> This triggers one of my hobby-horses, I'm afraid.
>
> If I refer to an I-D because it's useful reading but not yet published, I'm happy with it being tagged as "Work in progress". A smart reader may even have the idea to look for a corresponding RFC.
>
> If I refer to an I-D because it has historical value, I would prefer it to be tagged as "Unpublished draft" and have an exact version number (and date). Calling it "Work in progress" is either inappropriate or simply untrue.
>
> Today we have no metadata to separate the two cases.

Who would make the call as to whether an I-D is a work in progress or a [stale|historic|overtaken by events|your favorite term here] I-D? It's not a simple case of time, and the author of the I-D being referenced might have a difference of opinion than the author doing the referencing.

[JLS] However, there are some easy cases.  For example any document which has had a replacement document is definitely no longer a WIP.

Jim

-Heather