[rfc-i] Referencing Emails

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Fri Jun 16 11:11:45 PDT 2017

On 6/13/17 11:57 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2017-06-13 22:43, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

>>> Including the day of month in a reference is something we haven't done
>>> before, and which xml2rc won't do in references by default.
>>>
>>> Given that we already have <reference>s that contain a day-of-month
>>> (for
>>> internet drafts), is your suggestion to have this in ID references as
>>> well? (that would at least be consistent, and consistency is good)
>>>

>> Internet Draft references are styled after RFC references, which do not
>> include a specific day of publication. I think email is a very different
>> beast, and having a date specified helps the reader find the correct
>> message. We're trying to being consistent in like-to-like things.
>>
>> I understand this may require a feature request for the next xml2rfc.
>
> Actually, what's *more* helpful to the reader would be an archive URL
> (and potentially the mid).

I'm not sure if you and I are thinking the same thing when it comes to
an archive URL. I think of services like perma.cc. Could you explain
further what you're thinking here?

> That said, is there any proposal to use the day in month in other
> references as well? For instance, W3C specs do have it in their
> boilerplate, so it's not clear why we wouldn't include that as well...

At this point in time, no, we don't have a proposal for that. To be
honest, I need to research a bit more of the history as to why we don't
include the full date. The only RFCs that use the full date are April 1
RFCs.

-Heather