[rfc-i] Referencing STDs and BCPs

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Fri Jun 16 11:06:47 PDT 2017

On 6/13/17 11:48 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2017-06-13 22:54, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

>>> (1) It seems the formatting is broken? Is the first entry really
>>> supposed to be different from the second one?
>>
>> Yes, the formatting is broken. Subseries references have long been a
>> pain to implement; they're still not right.
>>

>>> (2) Why do the individual entries not have a link to
>>> <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc#>?
>>
>> Because if someone is referring to the subseries, then they should go to
>> the subseries info page for the full list of RFCs and errata associated
>> with that document set.
>
> This creates a special case for these entries, which I believe is a
> bad thing.

I don't think it is a special case, per se. I think this is the case of
how to handle sub-series. They are a slightly different beast than just
straight RFCs.

>>> (3) What if the spec prose actually wants to refer to one of the
>>> documents in the document set?
>>
>> They they shouldn't refer to the subseries; they should just reference
>> the individual RFC. If they want to do both (reference the subseries and
>> later specifically reference an RFC within that subseries) then I think
>> we're going to have a discussion with the author to figure out what
>> exactly they are trying to do. Are they trying to point someone to
>> whatever the current standard or best practice is, or are they trying to
>> point to a snapshot in time? Both are perfectly reasonable things to do,
>> and we'd adjust the references accordingly.
>
> Which doesn't answer the case what to do when both is happening.
> Leaving this undefined until it happens is just asking for trouble.

So, you're asking about when someone wants to refer to the current
documents in the subseries, AND refer to a specific RFC that happens to
be in the subseries at the time of publication? I don't see anything
preventing that, though it likely will result in a conversation between
the authors and RPC to make sure the intent is clear.

-HEather