[rfc-i] Referencing Internet Drafts

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Jun 13 14:02:29 PDT 2017

On 3/11/17 7:38 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> ...furthermore:
>
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-00#section-4.8.6.4>:
>
>>    (...)  If the referenced I-D was
>>    also later published as an RFC, then that RFC must also be listed.
>
> There are cases where this doesn't make a lot of sense - if one cites a
> specific historic Internet Draft because something that was later
> removed or changed, why would it be relevant whether a later draft was
> subsequently published as RFC?

I can see a situation, in a purely historic context, where this might be
unnecessary. I can see many more situations where having the information
that an I-D became an RFC, and the fact that material was removed before
approval to publish means that the material should be considered
carefully in a larger context, is important. I think it's more likely to
have the latter situation than the former, and so the guidance makes sense.

-Heather