[rfc-i] Referencing STDs and BCPs

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Jun 13 13:54:45 PDT 2017

On 3/11/17 7:35 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-00#section-4.8.6.3>:
>
>>    For an STD or BCP that contains two or more RFCs:
>>
>>    [STDXXX]  Last name, First initial., Ed. (if applicable), "RFC
>>    Title", Stream, Sub-series number, RFC number, DOI, Date of
>>    publication.
>>
>>             Last name, First initial., Ed. (if applicable)
>>             and First initial. Last name, Ed. (if applicable),
>>             "RFC Title", Stream, Sub-series number, RFC number, DOI,
>>             Date of publication.
>>
>>             <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/std#>
>>
>>    Example:
>>
>>    [STD13]  Mockapetris, P., "Domain names - concepts and facilities",
>>    STD 13, RFC 1034, DOI 10.17487/RFC1034, November 1987.
>>
>>      Mockapetris, P., "Domain names - implementation and
>>      specification", STD 13, RFC 1035, DOI 10.17487/RFC1035,
>>      November 1987.
>>
>>             <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/std13>
>
> (1) It seems the formatting is broken? Is the first entry really
> supposed to be different from the second one?

Yes, the formatting is broken. Subseries references have long been a
pain to implement; they're still not right.

> (2) Why do the individual entries not have a link to
> <http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc#>?

Because if someone is referring to the subseries, then they should go to
the subseries info page for the full list of RFCs and errata associated
with that document set.

> (3) What if the spec prose actually wants to refer to one of the
> documents in the document set?

They they shouldn't refer to the subseries; they should just reference
the individual RFC. If they want to do both (reference the subseries and
later specifically reference an RFC within that subseries) then I think
we're going to have a discussion with the author to figure out what
exactly they are trying to do. Are they trying to point someone to
whatever the current standard or best practice is, or are they trying to
point to a snapshot in time? Both are perfectly reasonable things to do,
and we'd adjust the references accordingly.

-Heather