[rfc-i] Referencing Emails

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Jun 13 13:43:52 PDT 2017

On 3/11/17 6:05 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-00#section-4.8.6.7>:
>
>> 4.8.6.7.  Referencing Email on Mailing Lists
>>
>>    When referencing emails to mailing lists, the template provided here
>>    should be used:
>>
>>       [reftag] Sender, A., "Subject: Subject line", message to the
>>
>>       listname mailing list, DD Month YYYY, <URL >.
>
> Including the day of month in a reference is something we haven't done
> before, and which xml2rc won't do in references by default.
>
> Given that we already have <reference>s that contain a day-of-month (for
> internet drafts), is your suggestion to have this in ID references as
> well? (that would at least be consistent, and consistency is good)

Internet Draft references are styled after RFC references, which do not
include a specific day of publication. I think email is a very different
beast, and having a date specified helps the reader find the correct
message. We're trying to being consistent in like-to-like things.

I understand this may require a feature request for the next xml2rfc.

-Heather