[rfc-i] Is RFC 7841 a normative reference?

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Jul 12 15:10:49 PDT 2017

RFC 7841 requires this sort of text in the boilerplate:

   For IETF stream documents, a similar reference is added: "Further
   information on (BCPs or Internet Standards) is available in Section 2
   of RFC 7841 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for
BCP and Standard Track documents; "Not all
   documents approved by the IESG are a candidate for any level of
   Internet Standards; see Section 2 of RFC 7841
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for all other
   categories.

The precise boilerplate differs but they all require something.

Should I add this as a normative or an informative reference? I think it

should be normative but the text does not make this clear.

In my document prep system, it has to be entered as one or the other in the

catalog to create the link.