[rfc-i] rfc-editor: XML tagging question

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Dec 17 21:25:00 PST 2017

On 2017-12-18 06:03, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If this is not the RFC-XML helpline, i would appreciate if you could provide me with a pointer to a more appropriate list.
>
> I am trying to create xref to entries in my documents list of terms/acronyms and am dissatisfied with the results. Hopefully there is a better way in RFC-XML to handle this:
>
> I have some acronym definition thats has a reference to another acronym:

> This is the reference:
>
> <t hangText="ACP Domain Certificate:" anchor="domcert-def">A provisioned certificate (LDevID) carrying the domain information field which is used by the ACP to learn its address in the ACP and to derive and cryptographically assert its membership in the ACP domain.</t>
>
> xml2rfc turns the acronym definition into:
>
> ACP address:  An IPv6 address assigned to the ACP node.  It is stored in the domain information field of the ACP domain certificate (Paragraph 21).
>
> The html conversion is fine, it converts to "ACP domain certificate" hotlink.
>
> The PDF conversion also creates the silly "Paragraph 21" (that is crazy, why not the same hotlink as HTML ?).
>
> Instead of "Paragraph 21", i would like to see something like the following in the text version (where obviously threre are no real hotlinks):
>
> ...field of the ->ACP domain certificate.
> ...field of the ->"ACP domain certificate".
> ...field of the (->ACP domain certificate).
>
> etc. pp.

Well, links to paragraphs are indeed severely limited wrt what text is
generated.

Vocabulary-wise, using "format='title'" (in the <<ref>) might be closed
to what you want - but I doubt any of the xml2rfc processors will use
the hangText as title - but it might be an improvement you may want to
ask for.

> Any chance to achieve this - and also get corect hotlinks in HTML / PDF ?

Which PDF conversion are you trying?

Best regards, Julian